Session Rua reflection

.

Session Rua:
😲Wow!!! I have so much catching up to do - I feel like I have just crawled out of a cave... Plato's allegory of the cave, perhaps? am I a 'convertee' inspired by the enlightened ones who return to explain what they have seen in the 'light'?
Key learnings today:
  • Forms - huge potential for formative and summative assessment, online quizzes, basic 'getting to know' students... collecting, measurable formative/summative data etc.
  • Sheets - great for data analysis, tracking student progress (music theory, blog posts?)
  • Blogging - I really need to implement this ASAP within my programmes - I will catch up with Karen to get an urgent tutorial...
  • Sites - I have learned that this is the preferred method of sharing learning activities etc. with students and colleagues... I have started my site, however, it is by no means that workable or useful for my students... yet? work in progress...
  • My Maps - can be useful for music works, genre studies: students could map out the far reaches of music, e.g. how music becomes a global phenomenon - track origins and the movements of the music - could be an interesting task to take a look at say baroque music vs contemporary pop music... the idea of live music (baroque) vs recorded music (1800's to the present) - how has this technology affected the development of music over time?

Next steps:
  • meet with Karen Ferguson back at school - introduce blogging into all of my classes; better organise my site; share it with my students; set up so that using the site becomes the main mode of contact outside of 'face to face' in class time...
  • create a 'sheet' for my tutor class, timetable, personal details, etc... easy to use rather than logging into KAMAR every time - how do I ensure that this is secure information?  Restrict access?  hmmm perhaps another discussion upon my return to school...
  • cybersmart curriculum? - check out manaiakalani website
  • network with our feeder schools on a regular basis - what is the norm for my students prior to enrolling at Tamaki College - what aspects should I continue; what will I need to upskill on?  How can I extend my students from what they have previously learned?  In reality they will be teaching me over the coming weeks/months... as my students will definitely be the experts in the room regarding anything digital/technological...

It is exciting to review, reflect and challenge myself to disrupt the status quo that has been my approach to 'secondary school music curriculum delivery'...
Watch this space...

Comments

  1. Hi Katrina, Great to see you setting yourself all those tasks for you and your students. I'm sure your school and your students will appreciate the work and effort you are putting into creating a better and challenging learning environment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DFI session ono (04/05/18)

DFI 2018 - Session Wha

DFI session toru